Baby Fish

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Baby Fish

Postby mumtotots » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:35 pm

Hi I have had my tank about 8 weeks or so and have 6 fantail guppies, 3 mollies, 6 tetras, 1 swordtail. 1 albino shark and 1 female fighter. I have just found a tiny baby fish in the tank. Is it likely that a pair of fish have bred already? Should I separate the baby fish from the others? Also my guppies seem to be chasing the silver molly all day long, is this normal? I know they will pester female guppies but not sure about the mollies!
Thanks
mumtotots

Postby Carylnz » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:31 pm

Hi and welcome. That is a lot of fish for an 8 week old tank, unless it is about 250L or so. How did you set it up? What size is it?
The baby fish could easily be a guppy, molly or sword but most likely a guppy - the only one of the spawn to survive being eaten. This will happen regularly with the fish you have as they will drop fry every 4 - 6 weeks. Livebearers get eaten as fast as they are born unless you have lots of plants for them to hide in.
Male guppies will pester just about anything that moves :roll: What is the sex ratio you have for your guppies? Livebearers need 2 or 3 females to 1 male or the males will continually harass the females even more than usual.
Carylnz

Postby mumtotots » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:06 pm

Hi, thanks for replying. I should have typed 18 weeks. Its 100litres.
I added either 4 or 5 small fish (tetras or guppies) and 1 or 2 of the bigger ones every week or two and have tested the water every week for Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and PH and got clear results mostly with slight rises just after the fish have gone in. I have got loads of live plants too.
I had been told my guppies were all male so guess I was ill advised then! Not sure about the mollies, how can I tell which sex they are?
Thanks
mumtotots

Postby Carylnz » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:38 pm

Male mollies have the same modified anal fin, called a gonopodium, that male guppies have so they are as easy to sex.
If your guppies truly are all male the fry could be a molly or a sword.

Here is a site telling you all about the evolution of male genitalia in fish :lol:
It's only small - the article that is :wink: but has a good pic
Here

*edit* I made the link a bit smaller, hope yopu don't mind? :) */edit*
Carylnz

Postby mumtotots » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:40 am

Hi, thanks for that. Will go and check my fish now!
I only have the one swordtail which I am fairly sure is male, so think either have female guppy in there or perhaps one of the mollies might be female. The guppies seem to be pestering the silver molly rather than the black or spotted ones, could that be an indication that the silver one is female. Is there an easy way to tell which sex the mollies are?
Thanks for your help.
mumtotots

Postby Carylnz » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:22 am

Thanks to whoever edited that link. I can't find my bit of paper which told me how to do it :oops:

Sounds like the silver molly is female. The link I gave you shows you how to tell the males. The difference is the females don't have that elongated fin, they have a 'normal' one.
Carylnz

Postby Angel Fish » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:28 am

That was me - it was getting taking me forever to read the posts :lol:
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Return to Beginners