Discus worries

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

Discus worries

Postby Kerry » Wed May 07, 2008 10:07 pm

Last week I introduced a breeding pair of discus to my tank. For the last 5 days or so they have gone through 'flicking' stages and rubbing themselves against the plants. The female seems to be 'showing' herself (really spreading out her doral fins and facing upwards) . I got them from a friend and have observed them for many months and an not sure if this is an illness or a strange (not seen before when breeding) courting ritual.
I was concerned about the flicking and spasms of darting around so treated with some Esha 2000, and general tonic but it hasnt really helped at all. I know the female has been holding eggs for about a week , so she should be due to lay, but have not noticed them cleaning leaves like they normally do. The female really is acting strangely and goes through stanges of showing her dorsal rays , but are both eating well.

I have tried lowering the Ph as it is currently 7 , by using neat Ro but it doesnt seem to be going down. Their previous tank was quite acidic so could this be casueing them to act strangely. (the female is also breating faster than normal)

Current readings
ammonia nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ph 7

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tank 1
Pair of breeding sajicas
3 Rainbow Cichlids
Male Kribensis with fry
Various Corydoras
rummy nose tetra,lamp eye tetras
1 Clown Plec , Bulldog plec

Tank 2
Pair of breeding discus
5 Angels
Neons/cardinals
3 Corydoras
Kerry

Postby calsonic » Sun May 11, 2008 9:32 pm

whats the gh if you use to much ro then the water is to pure they need some minerals in there water and what temperature are you maintaning?
Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.
calsonic

EVEN BIGGER WORRY... HELP!!!!!

Postby Kerry » Fri May 16, 2008 9:39 pm

I have been trying to get the PH down so have been using no minerals lately . The Ph is about 7 - 7.5.

I do not have a Gh kit so do not know what this reading is - I will get one tomorrow.

I have an even bigger worry today....For the last few days one of my discus has had a cloudy eye. I have treated for bacteria but is has not gone down. Today I noticed two of my cardinals had swollen rings around one of their eyes (like they had inflatable glasses on).. I took them out, put them in a glass and inspected them... It looks like they each have tiny a little white worm in their eye??????? ... It could just be me being paranoid and seeing things, but it sure looks like a tiny and i mean tiny white curled up worm in the surround of the eye.
(The eye has developed a sort of bubble-ring around it and the worm is in the ring part not on the pupil)
could it be an eye fluke?

I am so worried that my discus has it.. can anybody please help.
Tank 1
Pair of breeding sajicas
3 Rainbow Cichlids
Male Kribensis with fry
Various Corydoras
rummy nose tetra,lamp eye tetras
1 Clown Plec , Bulldog plec

Tank 2
Pair of breeding discus
5 Angels
Neons/cardinals
3 Corydoras
Kerry

Re: Discus worries

Postby Etyw333 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:10 am

My best advice is you need to have a species specific tank with discus, (aka only discus and plants) Espically if you want to breed them. Discus as you know don't have scales but a slime coat. This makes them much more prone to fishy illness then the Angels or tetras in your tank. Parasites and bacteria are more likely to affect your delicate discus then the other fish. I use kent to put minerals back in the RO water because it is specifically designed for discus, but there are many different water supplements out there to give the fish minerals they need that reverse osmosis take out. Discus also can Handle 90degrees F (even in the wild)and if u slowly over 48hours crank up your water temp to '90 degrees F' this naturally kills most bacteria off, things that can cause eye clouding and split fins. Harsh medications for bacterial and parastite infections can do just as much harm as good. So if you can naturally kill bacterial infections by having ur Discus in a slightly warmer tank do so.(WARNING!!!: ONLY DISCUS can Handle this degree of temperature! In the wild they prefer 84-90 degrees F. Discus also are more likely to spaw around 89-90 degrees F) Angels and tetras do NOT do well and can die under too high of temperature since they do better in 78-82 degree water. Hence my advice is to put your discus in one tank and the rest of your fish in the other. Improper Temperature could be the cause and solution to many of your problems! Good luck!
Etyw333

Return to Cichlids