new guy alert!

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

new guy alert!

Postby mickyC » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:25 am

Hi guys,

I've been lurky for a day or two and just had to come and say hello :).

My good lady and I bought our 1st tank a few weeks ago, ita a cleair Tigris 230 litre tank and the dimensions are:
l 106 cm
w 48 cm
h 68 cm

We have 10 guppies, 1 redtailed shark and 4 loaches so far with a variety of real and artificial planting. (pics when I get it sorted)

We have had green water which I am assuming is greendust algae and so we added plants and are leaving the light off longer and doing 10% water changes every 2 days til it goes ( we are seeing an improvement) so fingers crossed.

From what I have read here I am very understocked and was wondering what people would advice as easy fish to keep? preferably some to help with the upkeep of the tanks enviroment etc.

Anyway, I don't want to bore you all so I'll sign off now but its great to finally post and say hi :)
mickyC

Postby LindaB » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:50 pm

Hi there, nice to see you plucked up courage to post :D

Hope you get some suggestions on fish to add to your new tank - maybe you could list some that you have in mind and see what people think.

Some of my favs are not really 'tank cleaners' but fairly easy to keep ie red tailed rasporas are rather nice, neon rainbows, rummynose tetras, and Im rather partial to the gorgeous little Normans Lamp Eyes :D

What sort of loaches do you have at present, as this would have a bearing on how many other fish you should be adding.

Linda
LindaB

Postby mickyC » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:44 pm

I have 4 sucking loach but only small ones at the moment, and 1 common pleco. Also included 2 Golden gourami to my happy band. I did have 2 pleco's but one sadly didn't make it through its 1st night.

The water is slowly clearing and the tank is starting to look quite nice again :) all the fish seem happy and there are no aggresion problems so far.

I'm starting to spend long periods just watching them in the evening...this may become a new obsession me thinks!
mickyC

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:38 pm

Welcome to TTT!
With the collection you now have in the tank you are fully if not over stocked already as common pleco's grow very large. In fact he may well outgrow your tank and you'll find yourself the proud owners of a 6' replacement tank... :wink:
Your tank will hold around 60" of small adult fish but you have around the same amount of larger fish - that can cause water quality and oxygen issues as the fish grow larger so even though the tank may not look full now it will later as all those fish reach their full sizes.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby mickyC » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:09 am

wow! i've just googled for common Pleco's and they can grow huge!! thanks for the warning.

Why is it some aquariums don't point this out when they sell these cute little fish like pleco's and Balas that they can become such large adults?

the place I got it from sold me 2 and even asked for the tank size and population so they had all the info at hand but seemed not to want to warn me.

Are they less likely to grow to thier full potential depending on tank size?
mickyC

Postby Jkazz » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:18 am

Also, sucking loaches can grow up to 11", but are more likely to grow to about 6" in the aquarium. However, they will become more and more aggressive towards each other as they grow.
- Jack -
Jkazz

Postby mickyC » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:39 am

thx Jkazz,

The info or lack thereof from my LFS is quite staggering, good news is that we had friends round for dinner last nite and it seems they have been tropical fish lovers for decades with a special love for discus so we now have on hand assistance to look at the tank should we need it :)

Tested the water just now and we have ammonia of 0 and nitrite of 0 (i don't have a nitrate test kit yet :( ), the water is still cloudy but clearing and I'm hoping to see a diference again today after a 20% water change.

Once i work out how to mount pics I'll put some up :)

Thanks for the help you guys, it makes the whole job seem alot less daunting than facing it alone.
mickyC

Postby mickyC » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:21 pm

hope this works...here is a bad pic of my tank. I'll try to get some better ones but you can see the cloudyness of it which i must admit is clearing slowly but surely :)
mickyC

Postby alip01 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:08 pm

That looks like a nice arrangement of plants and hardscape :wink:

It will be good to see some better ones.

Welcome to TTT by the way. :mrgreen:
alip01

Postby mickyC » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:35 pm

Wow! this site has alot to answer for!!! lol

After setting up and watching my 1st tank I think I've sort of caught the bug. Just popped down the Golfish Bowl in sunny Oxford and bought myself a Rena Aquarama 60 and my better half got herself a lickle Betta lifespace 16l tank for her desk.

I've read through some of the posts and followed the route of setting the pump up in the main tank to mature after adding some Bio chem stars to the filter (i hope thats right).

I want to make this tank a barb tank and I won't be setting it up with decor until I've looked at as many other setups as I can.

I can now see why you guys have multiple tanks....this is going to be an expensive hobby me thinks! :)

any advice on set up designs or planting for barbs would be greatly appreciated (I think I rushed the main tank alittle :( )

PS> how many barbs would my rena take? I'm looking mainly at tiger, green and cherry if they'll be ok together in a shoal.

Before I go I just want to say thanks for the help this site has been. There can't be many questions a newbie can think of that haven't been answered on here and its been amazing help to us I can tell you!
mickyC

Postby Apistogramma » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:55 pm

That's a 55 litre tank so will hold roughly 24" of fish. Barbs need to be kept in groups of 5+ of the same species so you could probably only keep one size of the larger species...and that's probably going to be too much in a tank that small.
I'd look at smaller species such as pentazona's which are smaller at 2" and less aggressive...you could also look at the cherry which is a stunning colour when in good condition as an adult.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby mickyC » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:54 am

The cherry barb looks stunning thanks :)

going to spend a few days looking in various shops and planning the decor so I suppose I need to decide on fish before I finalise that so they compliment each other.....

Can't water for the tank to be ready, the next 2-3 weeks will be agonisingly slow!
mickyC

Return to Beginners