Tank upgrade

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Tank upgrade

Postby Lynton » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:35 pm

Ok,

Have a biorb 60l and have managed to convince wife that the fish need a bit more room to play in... :D

Was looking at a Juwel record 180, however, her who knows best thinks that a 240 would fit ok, therefore a vision 260 or trigon 190 would as well..... :D :D :D

I am leaning towards the Vision 260 (more l and more surface area = more fish and happy fish)

Been looking on ebay etc, and seems lots have external filters as well as internal filters.

Questions I have are

a) is it necessasry and if so why?
B) can you overfilter?

Thanks
Lynton

Re: Tank upgrade

Postby JBC223456 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:48 pm

Lynton wrote:Ok,

Have a biorb 60l and have managed to convince wife that the fish need a bit more room to play in... :D

Was looking at a Juwel record 180, however, her who knows best thinks that a 240 would fit ok, therefore a vision 260 or trigon 190 would as well..... :D :D :D

I am leaning towards the Vision 260 (more l and more surface area = more fish and happy fish)

Been looking on ebay etc, and seems lots have external filters as well as internal filters.

Questions I have are

a) is it necessasry and if so why?
B) can you overfilter?

Thanks

I'm not too familiar with the Jewel style filters as Ilive in the US. However, I would say the bigger the tank you get, the better.

Is it necessary for what? Is it necessary to get an external or internal filter?

If that is the question, the it all really depends on the type of fish you want, etc... The internals that come with the Jewel tanks I have heard are great. If I had a choice, I would always go for an external. These filters can hold large amounts of media and can be cleaned and accessed very easily. I haven't had to clean my external since I reset my setup, which has been over three months.

As per overfiltering, I am a person who believe that there cannot be enough filtration. More filtration equals better water quality. As long as your fish are not bothered by currents made by the filters, then they should be ok. You do not want them to be constantly fighting the water current.
JBC223456

Postby Superman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:49 pm

Don't think you can over-filter.

I've just got a Vision 180 and it's nice, so would deffo recommend the larger ones. Just beware, it'll be heavy!

If you buy the Juwels new you'd get an internal filter with it.
12"x10"x8" Optiwhite Journal Link

Juwel Vision 180 Journal Link
Superman

Postby moocowmoneybox » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:22 pm

just a word about overfiltering:

it doesnt mean you can necessarily have more fish...the stocking levels should be in relation to the surface area of the tank, so over-filtering (with normal stocking levels) means you have the capacity to leave the filters for longer between maintenance.

If you have 2 filters then both sets of media will have bacteria within them, but this is no more bacteria than you would get in the same size tank with the same size fish and only 1 filter. I guess you could think about it as each filter would have half the required bacteria.
A tank with 2 filters would probably be more stable as it would have the capacity to accomodate spikes in the water quality.

If you do overstock then the filters will obviously have the capacity to cope with this but the nitrates will rise in proportion the the amount you are overstocked, so you will have to do more water changes to keep these low (and the hormone levels in the water)
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

You dont need eyes to see, you need vision.
"There's someone in my head but it's not me..."
"Everybody has their vice"
moocowmoneybox

Postby Apistogramma » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:37 pm

I'm nodding along with Adrian here...we had an interesting chat about filters (well done for sparking discussion :D ).
I would agree that to overfilter is a good thing bearing in mind JBC's point about water movement in the tank and I will highly recommend the Jewel set-ups as mine has been wonderful since I had it.
However if you stock a tank correctly and do water changes weekly there is absolutely no reason not to stick with one filter if you want to. I only have an internal and external because I want to try and keep the water sparkling clean for the day my discus fish arrive!
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby Carylnz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:49 am

Necessary - no
can you overfilter? - no
can you have a filter with too strong a flow for the tank? - yes
Carylnz

Return to Beginners