Stocking my guppy aquarium

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Stocking my guppy aquarium

Postby guppy101 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:16 am

Hi,

I've got a 30 US gallon tank with 9 male guppies and 1 cory cat so far with lots of live plants. I'm thinking of adding more fish eventually but want to make sure what is compatible. I know neon tetras work, but I'm wondering if there are other fishes slightly larger and more colorful that will work as well. I've read somewhere that platys, mollies, or swordtails may work, but other sites don't recommend it. So who's right?

My tank is hexgonal shaped and is taller than it is wide, so I'm pretty sure I can't get anything that's too large in size.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks a lot! :D
guppy101

Postby moocowmoneybox » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:18 am

any chance you could post the dimensions of the tank please?

some fish require a good length for their swimming behaviour, so knowing how wide the tank is will help with your enquiry

btw - Welcome to the forum :D
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

You dont need eyes to see, you need vision.
"There's someone in my head but it's not me..."
"Everybody has their vice"
moocowmoneybox

re: guppy tank

Postby guppy101 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:32 am

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply!

The dimensions are 24.8 in x 14.5 in x 21.6 in (35 US gallons), but because its hexagonal shape I figured it's probably just around 30 gallons or so.

guppy101

Postby chase malase » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:10 am

im not a expert but i do have guppies.you could put zebra danios,yes neons tetra's(at least a group of 6).you could put in a couple more cory's as they love to be in groups.cardinals,rummy nose tetra's(some other tetra's but im not going to name them all!!)im not good at stocking but possible if you could have a small shoal of rosy barbs?
P.S an expert will come along soon with better help then what i can supply!
Thanks.

Chase
chase malase

Postby Carylnz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:47 am

Cardinal tetras are bigger and brighter than neons. Rummy nose tetras or harlequins. Just make sure it is something that won't find the flowing guppy tails enticing :wink:
I never found guppies and platies (or swords) a good mix but I don't know why. They just didn't seem to exist well together. Mollies do better with a touch of salt in their water.
Carylnz

Postby guppy101 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:58 am

:P Thanks for the replies! I'll do some more research and see what looks good.
guppy101

Postby guppy101 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:42 am

UPDATE:

I've added 2 mollies and several platys in the tank now, along with one more cory. So far they seem to be getting along pretty well. The corys are very happy to have a companion.

In the beginning I only got 4 young platys and they seemed very shy and hid behind the plants. So a few days later I went and got 2 bigger platys and the mollies and now they are much happier and are not scared of the guppies anymore. Occasionally I've noticed that the mollies nip on other fish, but it only happens once in a while so I will need to observe their behavior for a longer time.

The next step is dealing with plant problems: leaves are turning yellow and some have holes in them. Some brown algae on big leafed plants. They also seem to be growing much slower than a month ago.

Is it safe to add plant food? Some say it comtaminates the water, but I think the plants need something to stay healthy. I've read that CO2 is also helpful to boost plant growth, but I'm just wondering about the impact they will have on the fish.

Any clues? :?
guppy101

Postby Apistogramma » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:43 pm

guppy101 wrote:The next step is dealing with plant problems: leaves are turning yellow and some have holes in them. Some brown algae on big leafed plants. They also seem to be growing much slower than a month ago.

Is it safe to add plant food? Some say it comtaminates the water, but I think the plants need something to stay healthy. I've read that CO2 is also helpful to boost plant growth, but I'm just wondering about the impact they will have on the fish.

Any clues? :?

CO2 probably wouldn't be a good idea in such a small tank but someone with more experience will pick up on this for you.
I pluck off the dying leaves from plants to prevent them contaminating the water and exhausting the plant as it tries to repair.
What plants/lighting do you have?
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby guppy101 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:09 am

I don't know the names of my plants, because they weren't labelled at the store. I should do some research first on that.

Meanwhile, anyone who's interested in stocking guppy tanks, here's another thread i just came across:

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=464
guppy101

Postby JoJoJo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:20 am

If you are using a air-pump, it is not good to use co2.

Guppies are very gentle and swim very slowly. Sometimes, their tails are attacked by another fishes, specially in small tank. Even not being attacked by another fishes. It has only males in tank, they probably attack each others.
I am from Hong Kong.
JoJoJo

Return to Beginners