Day 3, whats happening?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Day 3, whats happening?

Postby Sarahnshad » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:41 pm

Hello
Set up tank(60 litre)aqua art starter set, complete with pump, heater, plants(live and plastic), coral and gravel.
All products washed, but on day 2 water went murky. Have put in correct dose of aquasafe and easybalance.
Understanding what we have read about bacteria bloom it maybe that or may not.
Have had idea to take sample of water from friends tropical tank and put it in mine, as you do with outdoor ponds?
Would this encourage the initial cycle to commence?
Any advice would be gratefully received as we are new to tropical tank.
Sarahnshad

Postby chaoz » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:22 pm

too soon for a bacteria bloom i think,how did you wash your gravel?might be muck left in it thats floated up which does sound about right.

there no bacteria added when you added your freinds water. ponds are set up slightly differant to tanks,but if he would be kind enough to give you some squeezings from his filter that would be better to boost your bacteria.
Unofficial TTT fish rehomer :)

im just a clown loach addict!!!

chaoz

Postby Superman » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:12 pm

what does a bacteria bloom look like? :shock:
12"x10"x8" Optiwhite Journal Link

Juwel Vision 180 Journal Link
Superman

Postby chaoz » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:36 pm

the wter in your tank looks very dirty/cloudy/dark

chaoz

Postby Superman » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:03 pm

chaoz wrote:the wter in your tank looks very dirty/cloudy/dark

I might of had that yesterday when I got the seed from the LFS.
Although, now it's all cleared up (took about 2 hours or so to do so) theres a few lil white bits floating around.
Some of these white bits look as though they're alive?! Any ideas what they could be? They're really small but look like a tadpole type (would say something else but guess there might be kiddies on here! :innocent: ).
12"x10"x8" Optiwhite Journal Link

Juwel Vision 180 Journal Link
Superman

Postby chaoz » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:12 pm

sounds like some form of lavae keep a close eye on them.

algae blooms take a few days to clear and settle

chaoz

Postby Sarahnshad » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:31 pm

Thanks for the reply Chaoz,
We gave the gravel and all the other items a good clean prior to fitting. The gravel was run and kneaded under running water for 20 mins per bowl, it never showed any signs of discoloration.

When tank set up it was crystal clear, lots of little bubbles locked onto the glass. Day after was the same, but two days and the tank was cloudy, with an oily looking film covering the surface, particularly evident when viewed from below.

We have carried out a partial water change to try and get rid of the film, things are definately looking better in there, but the film, although now only down to raindrops in size, are still evident and can be seen across the tank. We have started to add fish flakes, but not really sure if this is the way ahead.
Sarahnshad

Postby chaoz » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:39 pm

it does sound like dust etc coming from your gravel you can wash it for hours and you will still get some it should settle/get filtered out.

if you still have the oily substace you can lay newspaper on it to soak it up,i just get my hosepipe n syphon it off the top.

yes fish flakes is fine but can take a while,prawns are better but they will stink your house out,adding neat ammonia is prob the non smelliest way of doin it you can get that from most chemists.

just noticed you have coral in your tank im not 100% sure but i think that will break down in your water simiar to shells giving off calcium

chaoz

Postby Apistogramma » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:42 pm

Chaoz is right - it'll raise your pH so keep an eye on it.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Return to Beginners