stocking my tank

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

stocking my tank

Postby lislion » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:46 am

hi there,

I have a 60l tetra aqua art fish tank, and i have had it up and running for about 5 weeks now. i do have 4 guppies in it, and i am sure that my tank has cycled as my readings are quite good. NO3 = 10mgl, NO2 = 0, GH = 16od, KH = 6od, and ph is 7.2ish.
Anyway back to my main point. i am planning on introducing new fish into the tank and i was wondering what fish would you guys recommend. taking into consideration the size of the tank and the adult size of the fish. And roughly how many fish overall.

thanks

lislion
lislion

Postby David » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:24 am

I'm guessing the dimensions are 60cmx30cmx30cm or 24"x12"x12"?

First, do you have a test for ammonia NH3?

David
David

Postby lislion » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:40 pm

My dimentions are 57 x 30 x 35cm.

I don't have an ammonia test kit but i didnt think this would be necessary at this stage. i just assumed that because there was no nitrite and a small rise in nitrates that the nitrogen cycle has took place. therefor the ammonia has been reduced
lislion

Postby Tropics » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:31 pm

Sometimes I think it's about personal taste really and what you would like from your fish tank. Do you want really lively fish that dart around the tank or fish that just like to laze about all day? Rosy barbs are a good addition if you would like a lively tank and they dont grow to big either or on the other hand you could get some cory's but they dont really do much. Neon rainbows are quite nice and dont grow big either which will suit your tank size. :mrgreen:
Tropics

Postby AlisonJ » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:40 pm

Hi there,

I'm no expert, but 60l is not a very big tank. Are your guppies male and female, if so they will soon fill the tank with fry and leave you no room for more fish. As said, do your research and think about what you want from your tank.

Ali
AlisonJ

Postby TigerBarb » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:28 am

Tropics wrote:Rosy barbs are a good addition if you would like a lively tank and they dont grow to big either or on the other hand you could get some cory's but they dont really do much. Neon rainbows are quite nice and dont grow big either which will suit your tank size. :mrgreen:

I don't think the tank is large enough for rosy barbs or rainbows. They both need plenty of swimming space and need to be in groups. There are already 4 guppies in there too.

I know many people who would disagree with the comment about cories! Mine are lovely - bumbling about on the sand and then racing each other up to the surface and back! Again, they need to be in a group, but some pygmy cories would be good.

As Alison says, do your research first!
TigerBarb

Postby gbk » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:16 am

How about chequer barbs or cherry barbs? They don't look fantastic in shops but once settled in will colour up really well and the males will display to each other.
gbk

Postby Tropics » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:47 am

You asked for suggestions so I gave one, neon rainbows dont grow to big. A quote from this website 'The ideal rainbow fish for the smaller communtiy tank'. If fish around 2inches are classed as too big you are more confined to buying tetras etc. And as to research it is this website that I am using to find ideal fish for the tank.
Carl
No more fish for the time being :( so hope to return to it next year :)
Tropics

Postby TigerBarb » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:58 am

Tropics - please don't have a go at the OP, it wasn't her who queried your suggestions. I'm sorry if you don't agree with me, but I believe that barbs and rainbows need more space than 60 litres. It's not just how big the fish grow, but how active they are. There are "small community tanks" and there are also "very small" ones.

I apologise if my tone of voice was misconstrued, I had no intention of upsetting anyone; I was just voicing my opinion which is, I think, what these boards are for.
TigerBarb

Postby Tropics » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:07 am

I didnt mean to cause offence by the abrasive tone, I also understand what you mean with concerns to size of tank, I suggested them as I was suggested them by my lfs and my tank when I bought them was only 28l. Now with what you've said I realise I was mislead into by fish which were to large for my tank.

Tropics
Carl
No more fish for the time being :( so hope to return to it next year :)
Tropics

Postby David » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:35 am

Hi lislion,

It's easier to work in inches so i will of that's OK, then convert into cm's

I'm just going to say it 60cm, i think as long as you keep on top of maintenance you could have up to 24" of fish counted at fully grown size, or 60cm.

So,

4 guppys - 8"

leaving 16" of fish left.

But as mentioned, guppies can be a pain the way they reproduce so fast and constantly. So it is better if you only have one sex, if you have a mix, it may be worth re-homing the females to prevent overstocking in a short time.
So you have fish for the top there leaving the middle and bottom empty so you need to think of middle fish and bottom dwellers.

There are so much variety out there for both places. For the middle i would opt for shoaling fish like 2" tetras. Or rasboras or non nippy barbs (like cherry barbs) under 2".

Then for the bottom, how about something like corys or dwarf chain loaches when the tank matures and moneys not much problem.
Have alook here for some good candidates,

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/a-z_comm.htm

Tell us what you like!

HTH

David
David

Return to Beginners