My Molly Looks VERY SCARY!!!!!

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

My Molly Looks VERY SCARY!!!!!

Postby Tinkygal » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:00 am

Hi
i came home last night to find my black lertail molly had more or less doubled in size, she looks like she is going to explode!! no jokin.
her scales look like they are all puffed out and its not pretty to look at, im scared to go near the tank incase it does explode.

i dont know whats wrong with it.

any help on what it might be would be great.

thanks
Tinkygal

Postby Wolfgirl » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:30 am

Does she look like a pinecone? It sounds like it could be dropsy to me. Have a read of this and see what you think.

This happened suddenly, right? It wasn't that you hadn't looked at her for a while? If you hadn't paid close attention for a while, it's possible she could be getting ready to give birth.
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Postby Tinkygal » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:43 am

hi
she kinda does look like a pine cone.

its weird though because i was having a look at them all the other night maybe thursday and she seemed fine and when i feed them friday night she seemed fine and not lime she is now, i was out all day yesterday at work and out on the night so it was my boyfriend who notice her like that when he went to feed her.

i feed them this morning and she came straight up for food.

but shes swollen tummy and scales all puffed up and out like a pine cone...
ah!!!!!!

i think i have a picture that i might be able to post on her but its not a great one just the best one i could get with out her swimming away
Tinkygal

Postby krekra » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:14 am

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Body sweeling can happen for a number of reasons like a big meal, inpending birth or egg release depending on the species, tumors abcesses and in your mollies case a condition called dropsy. In most of those conditions we see a generalized swelling of the body because the swelling is comming from the inside. With dropsy the tissues themselves swell with fluid so as the skin gets swollen it pulls apart the scales and they stick out like a pine cone effect.

Dropsy is not really a disease but a symptom of disease. Unfortunatly it is not a good sign at all. Once this happens it is usually a sign of internal organ failure. Most often kidney but also liver :?

Here is a nice link from the main site to help explain.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/hddropsy.htm

sorry to be the barer of bad news but it doesnt look good. That doesnt mean its not worth trying. If you have an empty tank I would set it up seperatly as a hospital treatment tank and try one of the medications reccomended on the link. If you are in the US let me know as there are a lot more options available.

If you dont have a hosptial tank available let us know how big your tank is and what else is in there and we can help makes sure the treatments are safe for all the fish species in your tank. Some species can be particularly sensative to certain medications.

Karena
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby Wolfgirl » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:02 am

Pssst...that was the link I provided. :P *kiss*
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Postby krekra » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:07 am

oops :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

didnt see that.....sorry :oops:

:wink:
Karena

krekra

Postby Goldie Girl » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:47 am

Does it look likethis?
Goldie Girl

Postby Goldie Girl » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:49 am

I am sorry to say that I had 2 fish die from dropsy and both were mollies, for whatever reason mollies do not do very well in my tank. :(
Goldie Girl

Postby Tinkygal » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:55 am

yes she does look like that but worse, she's really puffed out and swollen, she was the most active fish in the tank, ive only got 6 neons, 1 silver speckled molly and two black lertail molly's one of them is the ill one.

i dont have a spare tank to put her in, so i cant put her in a hospital tank.

when i first got the molly's one had babies and then died and then another one got ill had fungus and got better and this one is ill, i dont think that molly's like my tank either
Tinkygal

Postby krekra » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:04 am

Mollies are a little different then some of the other livebarers. They do better in hard alkaline water and are actually considered by many to be a brackish water fish although they do OK in fresh water.

When they are not feeling well they are very susptable to fungas as well. Do you have a test kit??? Can you check your water for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, and pH??
Karena

krekra

Postby Tinkygal » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:55 am

im amazed to say that i had some medicine for more or less every diesease that a fish is commond to get and i put it in and did a water change the other night and she looks a hell of a lot better.

she isnt puffed out and doesnt look like a pinecone, but im slighly worried at the fact that she has lost quite a few scales on the sides o0f her body is that normal, considering what she went through??

thanks
Tinkygal

Postby Tigerhair » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:59 am

Did I read you right? Did you put in every medicine you have? :? Also, if you could let us know what your test results are that would be useful to prevent further problems. Thanks :)
I will be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box, when there's any evidence of thinking going on inside it! Terry Pratchett
Tigerhair

Return to Help!